LMPCBeckerBurlM.jpg (7731 bytes)

Chapter 6

1970 - 1977


The arrival of Roger Gulick as associate pastor in 1970 marks the beginning of a key chapter in the life of our church. With help from Joy, and full support from George Long, Roger developed an expanded youth program and summer service opportunities, retreats for officers, small group Bible studies for adults. Starting small and building one success upon another, they had a host of adults of all ages participating in other than Sunday services or Wednesday night suppers. The first family camp in 1974 was a sellout and a great time of fellowship and watching the Holy Spirit touching hearts.

All of this activity set the stage for the lay Renewal in 1975, coordinated by Bob Fenn of Covenant Fellowship in which 40 lay witnesses lived and testified among us for several days as to what Christ was doing in their lives. Dr Andy Jumper from Central Presbyterian in St Louis preached powerfully on "Convinced or Converted" and there was a spiritual explosion, with about one third of the congregation coming forward to testify to a new commitment in their own hearts. We saw many lives changed and a huge swelling of interest in bible study and fellowship groups. Roger had trained a host of small group leaders for just such a need. Any night of the week there were several small groups meeting in homes around the mountain. This activity continued year after year.

Chattanooga Christian School had its start in this church building. A student body of 23, a full-time teaching professional, a hospitable church, a board of trustees with a lot of vision but no money, and a small community willing to work were the basic ingredients on hand when Chattanooga Christian School, then the Lookout Mountain Christian School, opened its doors in quarters provided by the Lookout Mountain Presbyterian Church in September, 1970.

The school continued to meet in various locations on Lookout Mountain in subsequent years, then added elementary grades, keeping the upper grades quite mobile. In the Fall of 1979, the school left the Hixson Presbyterian Church with no place to go. Late that summer, leaders within the LMPC realized that without the church's help, the ministry of the Christian School was in real danger. The decisions was made to allow The Christian School to move back into the church facilities for the 1979-80 school year and were then welcomed to stay until the school relocated to its own Broad Street campus in 1982.

Next Chapter Table of Contents